Bugzy full size

Bugzy full size
Bugzy is an original design and creation by illustrator Tara Calahan King. Fabricated by: Ron Schlemmer.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Meet my mother

Greetings Everyone!  Hope you had a great weekend!  

Today is a very special day on Bugzy's blog (that's me!).  You get to meet my mother, the noted illustrator and (may I brag, very talented) illustrator Tara Callahan King.  She's been so great with me, I'm a very lucky guy.  And the good folks at the library have told me they are very fortunate to have her working with them.  

I could go on and on about how wonderful she is, how kind, patient, caring, thoughtful, talented, intelligent my mother is.  And she really is, I'm not just saying that because I'm biased!  I will get to the interview that I recorded with her recently.  Here is a photo of her, in case you have never seen one:

Tara Callahan King
Illustration of herself

Bugzy:  Greetings Mom!!  How great to see you again.

Tara:  Great to see you too.  Always glad to talk to you.


Bugzy:  Thanks for helping out with my blog and letting me interview you.

TCK:  You're welcome.  It's not like I was going to turn you down, son,

Bugzy:  True, but I still want to thank you.

Let's start now.  Is your full tame Tara Callahan King?

TCK:  Yes it is.

Bugzy:  Good, I just wanted to let people know what to call you.  People can also check out your website at:http://taracalahankingartist.homestead.com/index.html

Mom, what are you working on at the moment?  Tell people what projects you are doing!

TCK:   Currently renovating the Lawrenceburg Public Library with murals.  In the children’s department I am depicting a circus train theme, in keeping with the original train depot. I have also designed a train that will be built and installed by Multiple Design Solutions, in the spring 2014.  There will even be a life size portraiture of Abraham Lincoln sitting in his chair reading a book.   In the teen department, I am painting graffiti including modern and historical authors and quotes. Outside of the library project, I write and illustrate my line of greeting cards for American Greetings.  I have begun writing 2 children’s book manuscripts with illustrations.  


     Bugzy:  Great to hear about that.  Please let me know when the books come out, so I may share it with everyone.

     What types of books do you like to read? 

     TCK:   I actually love reading children’s books (and of course I love looking at the illustrations.) I also enjoy reading true stories of determination and triumph.

      Bugzy:  Yes, that does sound like you!
      Who is your favorite author? 

      TCK:   Dr. Seuss and Frank McCourt
     
      Bugzy:   What is your earliest library memory?

     TCK:   I remember my beautiful local library in Westwood (Cincinnati, Ohio) and looking through the old card catalogs.  I always loved being surrounded by the books
.
      Bugzy:  1.      Why do you like reading? 

     TCK:   I enjoy getting lost in the characters , in their experiences and journeys.   

     Bugzy:   So do I!!      What did you want to be as a child when you grew up?

     TCK:    I always knew I wanted to be an artist.  I loved creating and drawing characters and scenes…telling a narrative through my illustrations.  I took many art classes and experimented with many mediums (paint, chalk pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, color pencils etc.)

     Bugzy:   That is so interesting to hear, especially since obviously I never knew you as a child!

     TCK:       What is your favorite children’s book?  You can have several.  Love Dr. Seuss and David Shannon books
    
    Bugzy:  Who is your favorite Muppet?   I have an idea, but could you tell me for sure?

    TCK:   Kermit, love his personality

    Bugzy:   That's what I thought!  Kermit is my favorite too.

     What do you like best about being an artist?

     TCK:  Working with different people, the constant of creating and imagining, diversity of projects, and seeing a project through the process from an idea to a completed work.

     Bugzy:   What fun thing would you do if you had four arms like me? 

     TCK:  I would paint a masterpiece, holding a brush in each hand; I would eat 4 ice cream cones each filled with 2 dips of mint chocolate chip, I would cook gourmet meals for my family every night and I would volunteer to hold babies at the hospital that need extra hugs


     Bugzy:  That's so sweet. Thank you very much for speaking with me, and letting everyone a chance to know you a little better.


    TCK:   You're welcome.  Anytime.






     


   


     
     


     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember this is a G Rated blog. Anything profane and or insulting will be removed.